Calculate your consumption

First, it was BSNL and now it was BESCOM - I always have issues when it comes to billing with public utilities.

I recently shifted from one rented place to another. The previous one was huge but still I got a monthly electricity bill of around Rs.500/-. This new place is just over half of my earlier place - hence I expected my electricity bills to hover around Rs.300/-.

The first month when I was here - landlord said that there was some issue in the sub-meter and he charged me a round amount of Rs.500/-.

The next month the bill came to around Rs.490/-. I was a bit suspicious but still couldn't find out why I was getting it. I searched the BESCOM site and came across this consumption calculator - this was handy - and a great tool. Inputting my usage here - on a very conservative estimate - the bill amount came around Rs.350/-.
But beware, the site is not accessible most of the time - probably BESCOM should see that the link is hosted on a very reliable server.

The next month bill came - and it was a whopping Rs.1040/ - Well this is NOT something I wanted. And sure there was some mistake in the sub-meter. I called the BESCOM linemen who said that the meter was fine. Then I had to get the local electrician to check out what was the issue. There were around 40 apartments in my whole building and this was newly constructed - and my submeter was connected for two houses and hence the huge bill - now after rectifying it, the bill amount is around Rs.300/-

No comments: